Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Father, Lord...my Daddy

I grew up without a father. My mom and dad got divorced when I was very young, less than five I believe, and I didn't see him after that. I have very few memories of him and none of them are good. I didn't know it until much later in life that a lot of the issues I had with relationships with men were because I didn't have a good relationship with my father. In some respects that is very sad but in others, at least I didn't have to overcome an abusive father...just no father.

So, when I became a Christian it was hard for me to relate to God the Father. I could easily accept Jesus. He seemed loving, caring, compassionate, smart, sacrificial, and on and on. But God the Father, well he was just plain scary, right? Wiping out people in the Old Testament because they didn't listen to Him or weren't perfect. Right? Wrong!!! My perception of God the Father was totally off-base and that is because I was thinking of Him in terms of a worldly father. Also, apparently when Jesus said:

Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
 
I guess I just breezed over that part....
 
You see, Jesus is the embodiment of the Father. He is our physical representation of everything that the Father is. Until you come into a personal relationship with Him it is truly hard to comprehend, at least it was for me. But now, each and every day I grow closer to Him, because of Him!
 
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
 
I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.
 
When I first became a Christian I prayed to Jesus because I was afraid to pray to the "Father". Those times that I did pray "Father" I felt a distance, as though I was not being genuine, as though I was just reciting something to an audience. I started to then pray by saying "God" instead of saying father, because I couldn't relate to father and it sounded so distant and harsh to me. One prayer I asked, and He has responded hugely, is God please let me grow closer to you, let me see you and love you as a father, not a father as one of this world, but the father you truly are. Friends, let me tell you something...He loved that prayer! You know how I know? Because now when I talk to Him not only do I not feel a distance, I now feel love. I still don't call Him father because for me that sounds so formal. To me He is Daddy.
 
I pray for you also to have a relationship with my Daddy...for Him to be your Daddy...Come to Him, He will take you on His lap, hug you tight, listen to your prayers, hold your hand, and guide you. He loves you and has provided for you the best friend, mentor, teacher, and above all, saviour that you could ever hope or dream for in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment