Monday, March 23, 2015

Can Makeup teach a life lesson?

So the other day on my Instagram I was doing a recap of my Finish 7 by Spring and I indicated that I definitely would not repurchase my Bare Minerals Serum foundation and that I would elaborate on my blog. Surprisingly this foundation has actually taught me a life lesson...or at least brought one back to mind.

 
 
As you might remember I said that when I was growing up there was more competition among women than support of each other. Growing up that way I developed an attitude of "if you hurt me I'll drop you like a hot potato". Needless to say I kept people at a distance. As I've been maturing I still have a bit of that attitude but for a different reason. Now it's not so much because I don't want to get hurt, it's more just a realization that life is short and I want to enjoy it and not surround myself with negativity and drama. I know, I know, you're thinking I came here to read about makeup not have a psychoanalysis session. Ok, so here goes the comparison:
 
 
I really wanted to love this foundation (just as sometimes you really want to love a person). The brand has a great reputation (just as a person can). It costs more than I normally would want to spend but I thought I would give it a try. Some days were great, but mostly it was a chore. Getting the gist? A constant battle to find which moisturizer and/or primer I could use with it where it wouldn't ball up on my skin or make me look like a greaseball within a couple of hours. I tried using more and using less. I tried sponges, fingertips, and brushes. Bottom line....we clash. I kept on trying because as is typical of me I wanted to get out of it what I put into it. Well, apparently it doesn't feel the same way. There is no compromise or I'll try harder for you...it's just this is me, take it or leave it. Sound like a bad relationship?
 
 
I tried one last time this morning, before writing this blog, just to really see....and of course today it came out looking nice...kind of like, oh hey, I heard you were thinking of leaving me so let me put my best foot forward. Well the voice inside of me said, remember the drama, the pain, the frustration? Does this rarity of looking good one day out of 90 really make this worthwhile? Well that is something each person has to decide for themselves. But for me, I have decided....I understand everyday is not perfect. Each product (and each person) is not perfect. But for the most part, unless I have a deep connection to you, if you are not helping me grow in my journey you are only holding me back and therefore I must let you go. If I have truly given you a fair shot, and yet each time I see you I sigh and say a short prayer, oh I hope no drama comes from this one today, then the cord needs to be cut.
 
 
So with that being said, farewell Bare Minerals Serum foundation, and farewell to those who live and breed negativity. May your life find joy somewhere....just not in my house.


2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping you get this, this is the 3rd time I've tried to post something. I absolutely LOVED this post and the comparison you did between makeup and relationships. I can relate on so many things of what you said! I always say and truly believe that God places people in our paths for specific reasons and for certain seasons. We might not always understand the reasons why He does but He has the master plan so you just have to pray that He provides peace, discernment, and TONS OF PATIENCE!! lol It's a hard thing when you have people like that because in one hand you want to do the right thing but when you feel like you have you sometimes have to cut the ties. You have to be careful who you do surround yourself with because that kind of emotional negativity does seep into your life after a while. Anyway, thank you so much for this post, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. xoxoxo
    BrownEyedGirlCherise

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thank you so much for taking the time, not only to read this but to try three times to comment!! I am so blessed and honored that you would be that persistent to give me your thoughts. Thank you again! I, like you, believe that God does everything for a reason and I am just so thankful that He put it in my heart to begin this blog and that it is touching other people's lives. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete