Thursday, March 26, 2015

Being Content

Throughout my life I have found that I seem to always be striving for something. Sometimes I know what it is and sometimes I can't quite put my finger on it but it's just something out of reach. When I was little I wanted to be "big". When I was in Jr. High I wanted to be in High School. When in High School I wanted to be in College. You get the idea. Never quite satisified with where I was, always wanted something else. I think, unfortunately, that this is part of our human nature. You know, the grass is always greener....blah, blah, blah.

The latest trend that I have found myself caught up in is having the newest prettiest makeup related things. Now whether this has anything to do with my increased YouTube viewings or Instagram followings I'll let you be the judge (duh!!). All I know is apparently I am very easily influenced...and that is why advertising was born, for people like me!

Unfortunately this is really something that not only cannot be maintained for any great length of time, but it's flat out just not healthy. Financially and most importantly, spiritually! Enjoying and appreciating beautiful things is awesome. Coveting them is not. What happens is the more you get, the more you want, and the less you actually get to enjoy what you have. It creates a neverending spiral that instead of bringing more joy brings more despair.  Well some people might feel despair is a strong word, but for me, it's appropriate. I find myself getting frustrated, angry, and even sad that I don't seem to be satisfied with "acquiring".

So, with that acknowledgement of that flaw in my character, I have decided to fight the good fight and struggle against that inner demon who constantly says "oooohhh, how pretty, you must have that". Let me tell you, this battle is not for sissies! It is not easy!! Every single day it is a battle. Some people might think, what's the big deal? The big deal is realizing that the battle is not about the things that I think I am desiring...that new eyeshadow palette, or blush, or lipstick...the true battle is about being content! The true battle is about trusting God that he will provide for all my needs. And seriously, who really needs a zillion eyeshadows?!

The first step I've taken in this battle is to acknowledge that there is one! The second step I've taken is to look at all the stuff I own. After sufficiently beating myself up....ugh...the next step was to make the decision to enjoy what I have and to TRY to not continually acquire more. Now I have to say I have had successful days and unsuccessful days. I am by no means perfect, or even close. I might even act as a hypocrite at times. But just know, in my heart, there is a daily struggle and I strive to be better each day.

If you too struggle with this constant striving to have the newest, prettiest, whatever...just know you are not the only one. Let's learn together what is taught in Philippians 4:12

 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want
 
 
I know it's hard, but I invite you to take the first step with me and find out what you are coveting and why. Then look at what you have and make that choice....choose to be content...enjoy what you have...remember there is always someone else who doesn't have as much as you and would love to have what you have. Appreciate where God has placed you this day!
 
 
Find the beauty around you and appreciate that....don't strive to have someone's else's....


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Danielle! I've been going back and forth with this particular topic for months now. While I'm sure in my heart and spirit I've known what to do, my flesh gets in the way and then confuses me. I really take this post as a confirmation from God that I do need to be content in what I have. While I absolutely LOVE all the makeup/products and having the new things, it's just too much. The flesh part of me of course loves it and always wants more but my spirit knows it's only filling voids in me. It's an instant yet temporary excitement/satisfaction but at the end of the day it's an over indulgence that is not needed. It's not to say I will not buy here and there but I know I have to cool it for a bit and make better shopping choices and not so much impulse purchases. I guess I get upset with myself because my walk with God has taught me better where I know what's right/wrong for me but like anything, I got very caught up in it. Thank you for this! xoxoxo
    BrownEyedGirlCherise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherise I am right there with you! We do know better but the battle with our flesh is constant. Stay strong girl and know that I am right beside you in this battle!

    ReplyDelete