Sunday, April 5, 2015

It's not about the Bunny

I was raised by a single mom and I remember on Easter receiving an Easter basket filled with candy. I don't remember egg hunts at home but I do remember coloring hard boiled eggs. That's what Easter was about when I was young..an Easter bunny, colored eggs, and candy.



When I became an adult, and a Christian, I learned what Easter truly is about....and it's not about the bunny. Christians refer to Easter as Resurrection Day, and that's because that's what it truly represents. Jesus, the Son of God, came to us in the form of man, born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, and died a gruesome death to pay for our sins so we wouldn't have to. He then was buried in a tomb and three days later rose from death to conquer death for all of us so that we might have eternal life with Him. He was resurrected and He lives today. We too can have eternal life just by putting our faith in Him.

Acts 4:11-12 New International Version (NIV)
11 Jesus is
“‘the stone you builders rejected,
    which has become the cornerstone.’[a]
12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”
 
 
 
 
1 Thessalonians 5:8-10 New International Version (NIV)
But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10 He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him.
 
 
 
John 14:6 New International Version (NIV)

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

 
 
So how did the Easter Bunny come to be? The Easter bunny can be traced back to the 13th Century when people worshipped several gods and goddesses. One goddess was named Eostra and her symbol was a rabbit because she was the goddess of fertility, and since Spring symbolized new life and rebirth it all sort of got mashed together and this legend was born. My goal here is not to talk about this legend. You can Google it and read it for yourself. My goal here is talk about what Easter truly means.
 
I know that kids love the Easter bunny and candy, just like they love Santa Claus and gifts, but I just want you to remember that the real reason for those seasons is Jesus. It's all about His birth, His life, His death, and His resurrection....all done because He loves us and He wants us to spend eternity with Him. I pray you are trusting Jesus for your eternal salvation, and please remember, Easter is not about the bunny, it's about Jesus and the Cross:
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Weird, it didn't take my post the first time! 2nd try, here I come! lol Another great post, Danielle. The title alone says it all. My mom had a strong walk with the Lord and growing up I remember sometimes getting annoyed because we didn't participate in certain things. It's hard when you are a kid and the majority is doing certain things that you don't participate in and you are then left by yourself or worse off made fun of because of it. As annoyed sometimes as I would get at her because I didn't fully understand, I'm very thankful that she stuck to her guns and what she believed in and didn't give in to us kids because now as an adult and a mother myself, I get it. I feel that's what's happening with so many things today, the real meaning of things are just getting watered down. You put it right with Easter and Christmas about being about Jesus: His life, His death, and His Resurrection! Thank you again for a beautiful post! xoxoxo
    BrownEyedGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherise, the Lord actually woke me up in the middle of the night with this topic. I wish I had been more obedient and got up right then an wrote this blog because I believe something even more important would have come from it. I am thankful though, that even though I went back to sleep, as soon as I woke up He reminded me to write this. You were so blessed to have a believing mother. My mother is an atheist. I pray for her everyday. If you would pray for her also I would be so touched. Have a blessed day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try keeping a pen/notebook by your bed for those times you wake up in the middle of the night, it has helped me. Of course I will pray for your mother. How are things going at work? Hope you are having a wonderful day! xoxoxo
      With Love,
      Cherise

      Delete
    2. Work is going crazy, very stressful right now, but at least today I'm not throwing any tantrums! LOL....lots, and lots, and lots of deep breaths and prayers.

      Delete
  3. Well, no tantrums are a plus!! lol Hang in there!! xoxoxo
    With Love,
    Cherise

    ReplyDelete